This is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to visit a modern-day Aboriginal community. It will provide you with an insight into the Tiwi people’s rich culture and lifestyle. The tour will reveal scenes seldom seen by many outsiders and will leave you with a lifetime memory. Many cities are blessed with island destinations close by, but only Darwin has the Tiwi Islands.
Tiwi Islands Cultural Experience from Darwin Itinerary:
- Bathurst Island – Take a 2½-hour ferry ride from Darwin aboard Tiwi Mantawi.
- Wurrumiyanga – Join a local guide for a journey through this progressive modern community.
- Visiting sites – Tiwi Museum with its interesting displays of traditional art and depictions of Tiwi Dreamtime stories, and Early Mission Precinct with its unique Tiwi-style Catholic Church.
- Tiwi ladies – Spend time with some of them while they weave and paint.
- Smoking Ceremony – See your guides and the ladies perform this to bless their visitors, and demonstrate totem dances and explain the meaning behind them.
- Lunch – Sample local billy tea and damper with your lunch.
- Arts & Crafts Centres – Visit the centres and see where the artists work.
- Arts & crafts at island prices – You can purchase these including screen-printed fabric.
- Return to Darwin – Depart Bathurst Island for Darwin by ferry at 3.15pm.
More Tours by AAT Kings
- Transport by air-conditioned minivan
- Experienced driver guide
- Return ferry from Darwin to Bathurst Island
- Local billy tea and damper for morning tea
- Visit the Tiwi Museum
- Hotel pickup and drop-off
- Travel Insurance